2021-2022 Annual Emergency Solutions Grant Request for Applications
The North Carolina Department of Health and Human Services (NC DHHS) has issued a Request for Applications for the annual Emergency Solutions Grant (ESG). The ESG funds can be used for Emergency Response Activities, including emergency shelter operations/services and street outreach, and Housing Stability Activities, including homelessness prevention and rapid rehousing. The fair share allocation of $275,511 is available to agencies in Guilford County.
The Local Planning Agency (Partners Ending Homelessness) will complete the Regional Application, due to NC DHHS by Friday, October 1, 2021, on behalf of the NC-504 Guilford County Continuum of Care (CoC). In order to provide sufficient time for review, agency project applications and additional funding requests must be submitted and uploaded to the Smartsheet by Friday, September 3 by 5:00 PM.
The Smartsheet link is not available yet but will be made available prior to the September 3rd CoC deadline.
The ESG Fair Share allocation total for Guilford County is $275,511. The State is requesting that CoCs allocate a maximum of 60% of funds for Emergency Services and a minimum of 40% for Housing Stability. Based on the 60/40 split, the allocation of funding by available from this grant is as follows:
- Total NC ESG Fair Share: NC-504 Guilford County CoC = $275,511
- Of the total Fair Share, 60% maximum can be used for Emergency Services (Emergency Shelter and Street Outreach) = $165,306
- Of the total Fair Share, 40% minimum can be used for Housing Stability (Rapid Rehousing and Homeless Prevention) = $110,204
ESG funding that is awarded by NC DHHS will be available for expenditures from January 1-December 31, 2022.
NC DHHS requires all project applications and the regional (CoC) application are submitted online through the Smartsheet. The Smartsheet link is not available yet but will be made available prior to the September 3rd CoC deadline. Agencies are to follow the application instructions that have been provided by NC DHHS at their website. Please refer to the ESG FY 2021-22 Application Information on the NC DHHS website for guidance on the application.
Additionally, the State ESG office provided a Q&A webinar on Wednesday, July 21. Their office will also provide two additional Q&A webinars on Thursday, August 19 and Tuesday, August 24. Please register for these webinars on the NC DHHS website if you need further assistance.
Local Funding Process
The project submission process will be done per the NC DHHS’s instructions through the Smartsheet. The Smartsheet link is not available yet but will be made available prior to the September 3rd CoC deadline. The Guilford County CoC Systems Performance and Evaluation Committee (SPEC) will have access to the Smartsheet to manage the process and will meet on September 16 to score the applications. The SPEC will develop funding recommendations to be reviewed and approved at a called Guilford County CoC Board Meeting on September 29 and a called Guilford County CoC Membership Meeting on September 30.
Guilford County CoC Annual ESG Timeline:
- Thursday, July 8, 2021 and Wednesday, July 21, 2021 – General announcement about the annual ESG funding made during the CoC Membership and CoC Board meetings.
- Thursday, July 22 – A Request for Applications (RFA) communication will be sent out to the CoC Membership and Board via an email announcement. The RFA will also be posted on the CoC website and the CoC Facebook page.
- Thursday, August 19 and Tuesday, August 24 – Q&A webinar sessions will be provided by the NC DHHS ESG Office. Their office also provided a webinar on Wednesday, July 21.
- Friday, September 3 – Project applications are due by 5:00 PM to the Smartsheet. The Smartsheet link is not available yet but will be made available prior to the September 3rd CoC deadline.
- Thursday, September 16 – SPEC will meet to review and score applications.
- Tuesday, September 21– SPEC will send funding notifications to applicant agencies.
- Monday, September 27 – Appeals Due to the Interim SPEC Chair by 5:00 PM.
- Tuesday, September 28 – Appeals Committee convened by the Interim SPEC Chair if needed.
- Wednesday, September 29 – SPEC will recommend funding for project applications and additional funding requests to be voted on at a Called CoC Board Meeting at 2:00 PM.
- Thursday, September 30 – SPEC will recommend funding for project applications and additional funding requests to be voted on at a Called CoC Membership Meeting at 9:30 AM.
- Friday, October 1 – Local Planning Agency (PEH) will submit the regional application with the project applications to the NC DHHS ESG office.