Emergency Solutions Grant ESG-CV Round 2 – Request for Applications
The North Carolina Department of Health and Human Services (NC DHHS) has issued a second Request for Applications for the CARES Act funding under the Emergency Solutions Grant (ESG) Program. The funding is for homeless service providers in North Carolina to assist with responding to the COVID-19 pandemic. As with the first allocation of ESG-CV funds that were made available earlier this year, the funding may be used to fund any eligible ESG program activities: Crisis Response activities (Street Outreach, Emergency Shelter), Housing Stability activities (Homelessness Prevention, Rapid Rehousing), and HMIS.
The fair share allocation available to agencies in Guilford County is $1,468,099. The Local Planning Agency (Partners Ending Homelessness) will complete the Regional Application, due to NC DHHS by January 22, 2021, on behalf of the NC-504 Guilford County Continuum of Care (CoC). In order to provide sufficient time for review, agency project applications and additional funding requests must be submitted and uploaded to the Smartsheet by Thursday, December 31 by 5:00 PM.
Unlike the previous ESG-CV allocation and the annual ESG request, the State is not requiring the standard 60/40 split for Emergency Services and Housing Stability. The State has prioritized funding Housing Stability activities that will quickly assist those living in unsheltered situations and those exiting shelter sites to permanent housing.
For agencies who received the first allocation of ESG-CV funding: The NC ESG Office is offering renewal funding for agencies who were awarded funding during the first allocation of the ESG CV funds this summer. If an agency intends to renew their funding, the agency needs to submit an ESG-CV2 Additional Funding Request document and an ESG-CV2 Project Budget spreadsheet to Smartsheet. For example, if an agency previously received Rapid Rehousing funds and now wants to apply for Homelessness Prevention funds, the agency only needs to submit the Additional Funding Request with the amounts requested. As well, all renewing agencies are asked to email a document explaining how the funds will be used to expand the current ESG-CV activity, if there are any major changes to the program, and how the activity is related to COVID-19 to firstname.lastname@example.org. (This document should not be uploaded into Smartsheet and will be used only by the Guilford County CoC System Performance and Evaluation Committee (SPEC) to evaluate the project for a funding recommendation).
For agencies who did not receive previous ESG-CV funding, and agencies submitting new projects: If an agency did not receive previous ESG-CV funding or would like to apply for a new project that is within a different category from previously funded activities, a completed application with an ESG-CV2 Project Budget will need to be uploaded into the Smartsheet. For example, if an agency previously received Rapid Rehousing funds, but now wants to apply for Emergency Shelter funds, a new project application is required because the funds are in different categories. The application documents are available on the NC DHHS website.
NC DHHS requires all project applications and the regional application are submitted to the Smartsheet. Please refer to and follow the application instructions from the Emergency Solutions Grant (ESG-CV) Application Information Packet document on the NC DHHS website. Additionally, the State ESG office presented a webinar about the ESG-CV2 grant and application process. A recording of the webinar is available here: https://attendee.gotowebinar.com/register/6001577978916046864
Local Funding Process
The project submission process will be done per the NC DHHS’s instructions through the Smartsheet. SPEC will have access to the Smartsheet to manage the process and will meet on January 7, 2021 to score the applications and additional funding requests. The SPEC will develop funding recommendations to be reviewed and approved at the regularly scheduled Guilford County CoC Board Meeting on January 20 and at a special called Guilford County CoC Membership Meeting on January 21.
Guilford County CoC ESG-CV2 Timeline:
- Wednesday, December 16, 2020 – A Request for Applications communication will be sent out to the CoC via an email announcement, the CoC website, and the CoC Facebook page
- Thursday, December 31, 2020 – Project applications and additional funding requests are due by 5:00 PM to the Smartsheet
- Thursday, January 7, 2021 – SPEC will meet to review applications and additional funding requests
- Monday, January 11, 2021 – SPEC will send funding notifications to agencies
- Thursday, January 14, 2021 – Appeals due to the SPEC chair by 5:00 PM
- Tuesday, January 19, 2021 – Appeals Committee convened by the SPEC Chair if needed
- Wednesday, January 20, 2021 – SPEC will recommend funding for project applications and additional funding requests to be voted on at the CoC Board Meeting at 2:00 PM
- Thursday, January 21, 2021 – SPEC will recommend funding for project applications and additional funding requests to be voted on at a Called CoC Membership meeting at 9:30 AM
- Friday, January 22, 2021 – Local Planning Agency (PEH) will submit the regional application with the project applications and additional funding requests to NC DHHS
Please feel free to contact the PEH staff at email@example.com or the State ESG staff with any questions.